The Luckiest Person in the World

Monday, March 27, 2006
Ore : 4:42 PM

I always thought the main purpose of the blogs to be the sharing of meaningful experiences, stories people can relate to, something they can learn from.
That’s one of the main reasons I didn’t have a blog until now. Maybe I underestimated my life so far but I couldn’t put my finger on that one great moment in my life that was so different and unique that others can actually learn something from. That and the already proven fact that I’m not a very concise person. I could bore people to death with my writing (the ones who’ve read my 54 pages application form for the MC know what I’m talking about).

Anyway, as I don’t intend to make this out as an “Online Diary of Rada”, I just wanted to share this one experience that turned my life around a little bit, in the most unexpected way. Right here, from the friendly hospital bed…

Ah, if only thoughts came in organized chronological order…..

To start with, I never had imagined that a car crash can make you feel like one of the luckiest persons on Earth, even though it puts you in a hospital with several fractures and a 2 month bed detention period.

The strangest technical detail of a car accident is the fact that when it happens you see everything in slow motion. You don’t hear anything and you are 100% focused on the car coming towards you. You are so fascinated with that image that you become unable to move a muscle.
In my case though, I was lucky. Just before the impact something miraculous happened that saved my life. I never have good reflexes when it comes to avoid something hitting me. Somehow this time, it’s like an invisible hand pushed me towards the opposite side of the car, just as the other car was crashing into ours. And that literally saved my life.

And then I woke up. Sounds like a bad prank you play on your friends….
It was still February 16th, we were surrounded by a lot of cars and people, the ambulance was there and we also had to wait for decarceration to arrive. Not recalling exactly what had happened, one of my first worries was that Stefan and my father don’t find out about the accident, at least not until I was well enough.
When I got at the hospital I was so happy to see a man I’ve never seen before but who was the first person to smile reassuringly at me. He turned out to be one of my colleagues in Oradea and he took care of everything there, even announcing Stefan and my father about the accident.

I can only recall bits of what happened next…..I remember being confused with all those agitated doctors around claiming I had a lot of fractured bones in my body even though I didn’t feel any pain. Even so I was relieved to see a good friend’s face when lucki appeared at the hospital with her mother. It’s strange how a familiar face can make all the difference in these kinds of moments…….

I can’t remember ever feeling happier than when I saw Stefan and my father entering my room at the hospital. I was so thrilled they were there that I didn’t care about anything else. We didn’t talk about the accident; we just looked at each other with immense gratitude for this chance, simply enjoying each others’ presence.
Only then have I started to really feel grateful and to believe that really being injured didn’t matter, that the next 2 months spent in bed are of no importance whatsoever, and that all the pains that finally kicked in after a few hours of shock are there just to remind me how lucky I am to be alive…………..how lucky I am to be able to be with the one I love, how lucky I am to see my father smiling……..how lucky I am to have another chance to make the best out of this life. I felt and still feel so empowered with the image of the future yet to come…….Must be because I am the luckiest person in the world!

posted by Rada babe at 4:42 PM | Permalink |

[ back home ]

Comments for The Luckiest Person in the World
About Me
Bloggy Friends
Previously on Rada's posts